Saturday, 4 July 2015
Flowers from 3 fresh (or dried) lavender sprigs
225g/8oz SR flour
5ml/1tsp baking powder
Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
175g/6oz unsalted butter
175g/6oz caster sugar
3 medium eggs
For the icing
Flowers from 3 lavender sprigs
175g/6oz icing sugar
15ml/1tbsp lemon juice
1. Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin. Preheat oven to 170'C.
2. Sift together flour and baking powder. Add the remaining cake ingredients and beat well, until smooth and creamy.
3. Bake for approximately 35-40 minutes until firm and when tested with a skewer, is cooked in the centre.
4. Allow to cool completely in the tin, remove before icing.
5. Mix together the icing ingredients and pour over the cake, allowing it to drizzle down the sides. (I don't usually measure my icing ingredients, but do it by eye.)