Monday, 2 July 2012
225g SR flour
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
1tbsp ground ginger
1tsp ground cinnamon
1tsp ground mixed spice
115g unsalted butter, cubed
115g dark muscovado sugar
115g black treacle
115g golden syrup
1 medium egg
1tsp icing sugar (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 150'C fan and grease and line a 20cm round, deep cake tin.
2. Mix together the flour, bicarbonate of soda and spices.
3. In a large saucepan heat together the butter, sugar, treacle and syrup, until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat.
3. Beat the egg into the milk (whole or semi-skimmed) and stir into the liquid mixture.
4. Add the dry ingredients and mix well.
5. Pour into the prepared tin and bake for approximately 50-55 minutes, use a skewer to test if cooked (it should be clean when removed from centre of cake).
6. Leave to cool completely in tin. Can be dusted with icing sugar using a sieve.