Thursday 27 February 2014

Peanut Butter & Chocolate Squares

I originally found this recipe here via Pinterest.  Although I do have US measuring cups I felt it would be easier for myself if I could weigh the ingredients in good old ounces!

For the base:
1cup/7oz unsalted butter, melted
2cups/8+1/8oz (16 biscuits) McVitie's Digestive Biscuits, finely crumbed
2cups/10oz icing sugar
1+1/2cup/12oz peanut butter (smooth or crunchy)

For the topping:
1/4cup/2oz peanut butter
2cups/12oz dark chocolate chips.

 1.  In a large bowl, combine all of the base ingredients until smooth.
2.  Spread evenly in a 9"x13" lined baking tray.
3.  Melt together topping ingredients.  I microwaved mine on a medium setting for 1 minute and then removed it and stirred until smooth.  Don't overcook - chocolate can hold its shape even when soft.  Stirring will remove any lumps.
4.  Spread topping onto base and place in refrigerator until set.
5.  Once set, remove from refrigerator and leave for 5 minutes before cutting.  This prevents the chocolate from cracking.
 I used crunchy peanut butter and therefore had little lumps in my chocolate, smooth peanut butter in the topping would prevent this, but I like the crunch.
 I started cutting my squares slightly too soon and you can see a couple of fine cracks in the chocolate.  Trimming off the edges will make the squares look more presentable.  The trimmings aren't wasted! ;)
 These are a hit with my family!

No comments:

Post a Comment