Thursday 22 December 2016

Yogurt Cake

This cake can be made two ways; my Mum adds dried fruit to her yogurt cake, but I usually make this as a plain cake rather than a fruit cake, although it is very good with fruit.  Plain, Greek or fruit yogurt can be used and the flavour will change accordingly.  If using a 5oz pot of yogurt, the pot can be rinsed and used as a cup measure for the remaining ingredients.  To simplify this recipe I am listing the plain cake ingredients as I make it and enclosing a photo of my Mum's recipe.
150g/5oz Plain Yogurt
150ml/0.25pint sunflower oil
225g/8oz/1 cup Caster Sugar
225g/8oz/2 cups SR Flour
10ml/2tsps Baking Powder
2 Medium Eggs, beaten

1.  Preheat oven to 160'C.
2.  Grease and line a round cake tin, 18cm/7" or 20cm/8".
3.  Place all ingredients together in a large bowl and mix until smooth.
4.  Bake in a preheated oven until lightly golden and springy to the touch.  Test with a skewer, which will stay clean when cake is cooked through.  In my fan oven the cake is cooked after 45 minutes, but it may take longer in another oven.
5.  Leave to cool in the tin.
6.  I usually leave this cake undecorated, but it can be iced when cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment