Friday, 18 September 2009
Cheddar and Onion Soup
225g/8oz Cheddar, grated
1 white onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
45g/1.5oz plain flour
420ml/0.75pint vegetable stock
1 bay leaf
2 tsps fresh herbs
1. Melt butter in a saucepan and saute onion and garlic until soft.
2. Stir in flour and cook for a minute.
3. Remove from heat and gradually add stock and milk.
4. Add bay leaf and choice of herbs.
5. Return to heat and cook gently, until slightly thickened, stirring constantly.
6. Add cheese and stir until melted.
7. Remove bay leaf and serve.