Wednesday, 3 August 2011
Chocolate and Courgette Muffins
Once again it is the season of the courgette. We have so many growing on our allotment that we can't keep up with them; so in addition to making ratatouille and eating baby ones raw like carrot sticks, I adapted a muffin recipe to use up 300g of courgette or one medium large courgette.
200g light muscovado sugar
80ml sunflower oil
2 medium eggs
260g plain flour minus 4 tbsps
4 tbsps cocoa powder
2 tsps baking powder
1.5 tsps ground cinnamon
80ml natural yogurt
100g dark chocolate drops
12 hole muffin tin and muffin cases
1. Preheat oven to 170'C
2. Finely grate courgette and allow some of the juice to drain away.
3. Whisk together the sugar, oil and eggs using an electric whisk.
4. Sift together all of the dry ingredients. Add half of them to the sugar mixture and whisk again.
5. Add the yogurt, whisk, add the remaining dry ingredients and whisk until well mixed.
6. Using a spoon stir in the courgette and chocolate drops.
7. Divide mixture evenly between the 12 muffin cases and bake for approximately 20 minutes, until risen and the spongy to the touch.
The grated courgette makes the muffins moist, but they do not taste of courgette. :)