Tuesday, 5 May 2015
Spicy Chickpea and Nut Roast
This recipe is a variation on my Festive Chestnut and Cranberry Loaf that I usually make at Christmas time.
2tbsp olive oil
1 medium white onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp cumin seeds
0.5 tsp ground cumin
0.5 - 1 tsp ground cayenne pepper
1 tsp ground smoked paprika
0.5 tsp dried thyme
100g frozen peas
200g mixed chopped nuts
240g tinned chickpeas, drained
1 carrot, grated
80g fresh white breadcrumbs
100g mature cheddar, grated
3 medium eggs, lightly beaten
100g goats cheese, soft or hard
2 x 1lb loaf tins
Baking tray, lined
oil or butter for greasing plus greaseproof paper or silicon lining
1. Preheat oven to 190'C. Line and grease tins.
2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and gently fry the onion, red pepper, garlic, cumin seeds, ground spices and dried thyme for a few minutes until softened. Add frozen peas and stir until defrosted. Set to one side.
3. In a large mixing bowl, stir together mixed nuts, drained chickpeas, breadcrumbs, grated carrot and grated cheddar.
4. Stir onion mixture into nut mixture and season well. Stir in the 3 beaten eggs.
5. Place half of the mixture equally into the base of lined tins and press down firmly with the back of a spoon.
6. Dot the mixture with pieces of goat's cheese, then cover with the remaining mixture, again pressing down firmly.
7. Place tins onto a baking tray and bake at 190'C for approximately 35 minutes, until lightly browned.
8. Remove from oven and loosen from paper with a palette knife. Turn upside down onto baking tray and carefully remove paper from loaves. Return to oven for 5 minutes, until golden brown.
9. Either serve immediately or cool and freeze in slices. If freezing allow loaf to cool before cutting as it slices easily when cold. To use from freezer, allow slices to defrost, then wrap loosely in foil and bake at 190'C for approximately 20 minutes.I usually serve this hot with my spicy tomato sauce, but it would also be good thinly sliced and served cold for a picnic with a chutney.